05 January 2010

Spice up winter

Recently, I was paging through a hiking magazine and came across an article about how backpackers stay warm in cold weather. One trick they use to raise their body temperatures: cayenne pepper, added to food or drink. On a frigid, blustery day, eating something with a little fire in it sounded good. 

A friend once told me he goes to a Vietnamese restaurant when he has a cold and orders a spicy soup, which clears the nose and sinuses real quick. Besides warming you up, the right combination of spices transforms vegetables, fruit and meat into fantastic dishes. So start experimenting with adding different flavors to your favorite meals: cumin, rosemary, cloves . . . or, as a colleague suggested, hot Hungarian paprika, which I will have to look for next time I'm at the store.

After I read the hiking article, I tried making hot cocoa with cayenne. But chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is one thing I prefer plain. Instead, I sprinkled a small amount on a spinach and avocado salad -- delicious. 

I also added some spice to one of my quick dinners: sauté diced sweet onions and garlic in olive oil, add spices (I used black pepper, cumin, coriander and chili powder) and spinach until the leaves wilt. Spoon over tortilla shells with beans and salsa. 

For some tasty veggies (such as carrots, broccoli, onion, peppers and/or squash), toss with herbs, lemon juice, olive oil and whatever else you have (sesame seeds, a little maple syrup?) and roast at 425 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

Have any suggestions for adding something hot to the table in cold, gray January?

No comments:

Post a Comment