01 January 2010

An old restaurant, a new dish

It has become a Christmastime tradition for my mom, sister and me to take the train into downtown Chicago, walk the freezing blocks from the station to State Street, and eat at the historic Walnut Room in what used to be Marshall Fields (now Macy's). The Walnut Room opened in 1907, and for as long as I've been going there, crowds of holiday shoppers have lined up to eat near the multi-story, decorated tree in the center.



The restaurant makes small changes to its holiday menu every year, and this year I noticed a tilapia with mashed potatoes and vegetables. The fish was delicious (this coming from someone who doesn't care for many types of seafood), but what I really noticed was the sauce -- the menu called it a white wine and pepper sauce, which I think included puréed sweet red peppers. The simple flavors of the creamy potatoes and two colors of sautéed string beans were great compliments for the fish.




Making a similar sauce is on my list of things to try in the new year, as is cooking a few different types of fish using different methods. Also, watch the blog in February for some Canadian dishes, in honor of the 2010 winter olympics. 

On the photo front, I'll be looking into getting a new and improved camera (these photos were stills from my $100 video camera, not my SLR) -- suggestions are welcome! Have a happy new year!



(Photos by H. Farrell)

No comments:

Post a Comment