14 January 2010

Giving Brussels Sprouts a Chance

Brussels sprouts have a bad reputation as being one of the most-disliked, worst-tasting vegetables, and I admit I never had a desire to give them a try -- until I started seeing a lot of recipes for them that looked really good. So I made a point to buy them during my next grocery trip, and I read through a number of recipes before I came up with this one. I decided to sauté them with ingredients similar to those I use in my slaw. The result? Good. The brussels sprouts in this recipe are very similar to cabbage, and by no means have the horrible, bitter, mushy taste I imagined. In fact, I enjoyed this recipe even more the second day, eaten cold. So, give brussels spouts a chance. I will buy them again, and try other recipes that feature this vitamin-rich veggie.

Brussels Sprouts with Raisins and Apples

about 1 lb brussels sprouts
1 apple, chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1-2 T pine nuts
about 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
about 2 tsp maple syrup
season with:
sea salt
cloves
basil
olive oil for sautéing

Remove outer leaves from brussels sprouts, rinse and cut into quarters. Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté brussels sprouts until slightly brown (a few minutes). Add seasoning, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup, apple pieces, then raisins and pine nuts. Stir over heat for a minute or two more. Serve warm or chilled.

(Recipe by H. Farrell)

No comments:

Post a Comment