05 October 2010

Shenandoah at dawn: worth the early wake-up call

One good thing about the later sunrise is that I could get up at only 5 a.m. and be on Skyline Drive to see the morning mist and low sun transforming Shenandoah's already-beautiful overlooks. Another plus for early starts: I could finish a five-hour hike and still have time to enjoy the area's orchards and vineyards.

This visit to the park I made on my own, and the Overall Run hike got points for solitude, especially so early in the day. I met a few small groups of hikers -- mostly at the two waterfall overlooks -- but on much of the trail I was wondering just how many bears live in Shenandoah's backcountry. I admit I started singing out loud on more than one occasion. The hike itself is not easy. It's pretty much a steep down for about three miles (which you then have to walk up on the return), but the view of Overlook Run Falls is amazing. On a purely practical note: the park stations aren't open that early -- bring toilet paper and plastic bags to carry it out.

The drive home brings you past numerous farms and vineyards, many right off the highway. I stopped at Stribling Orchard in Markham, Va. If you're looking for apples, this is the place (they have tons of trees). If you're looking for a peaceful stroll through an orchard, this isn't it (the place was packed -- apparently it's popular). Down the road a few miles from Stribling is Aspen Dale Winery. This is the first tasting I've done that paired each wine with a complementary food. Their wine is good anyway (they have awards to prove it), but the pairings make it all the better. Altogether, the day made for a great start to autumn.


























(Photos by H. Farrell)

2 comments:

  1. hey heather! loved this post. it was almost as good as going there myself (i wish!) also wanted to say i didn't forget your october calendar -- they ran out! but i am going to keep my eyes peeled for november. we still miss you lots at work.

    ReplyDelete