20 September 2010

Flatbread with za'atar and cheese

More than a year after visiting Lebanon, I still say Lebanese cuisine is one of my favorites. If I had my way, I'd eat hummus, labneh and baba ghanoush every day. And then I'd take up marathon running. There are some very good Middle Eastern restaurants and delis in the D.C. region, but I wish there were a Zaatar W Zeit nearby (the menu makes me hungry even though I just ate -- ah, the Jebneh is so good...). Well, here's my attempt at a wrap with the tangy, herby spice blend za'atar. It's not Zaatar W Zeit, but it makes my taste buds happy nonetheless. Below, I also suggest a salad that pairs well with the wrap.


Flatbread with za'atar and cheese

Za'atar:
3 1/2 T dried thyme
2 T toasted sesame seeds (see below for tips)
3 T ground sumac (find at Whole Foods or a Middle Eastern market)
1 T dried marjoram
1 tsp salt

Lebanese flatbread (pita bread also works)
Olive oil
A strong white cheese that melts well (I used sharp white cheddar)

Serve with salad:
Arugula/spring mix 
Balsamic vinegar (or Balsamic dressing)
Lemon juice
Golden raisins

To toast the sesame seeds, spread them out in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, shaking the skillet often to keep them from sticking to the bottom. Remove from heat when the seeds have turned a light brown and transfer them to a plate to cool. This happens fairly quickly, don't leave them on the stove unattended! 

Mix together sesame seeds and spices.

Place bread, open-faced, on cookie sheets and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle za'atar over the entire bread and sliced cheese on half (you will fold the bread into sandwiches after baking). Place in 325-degree oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted. (If you have a pita sandwich maker, it'd probably work well).

Serve wraps warm with side salad.

The seafront promenade in Beirut, near the university and a street full of eateries.
The American University of Beirut, off Bliss Street in Hamra,
where there is a very popular Zaatar W Zeit location.
(By H. Farrell)

No comments:

Post a Comment