25 October 2010

A weekend of baking: Pumpkin brownies, pumpkin hummus and cranberry-apple bread

The season for fall and holiday gatherings has begun, which means making lots of food to bring to those events. This weekend I wrote one new recipe and tried two others. I recommend both the pumpkin brownies and pumpkin hummus, especially if you like all things pumpkin. My cranberry-apple bread also tasted pretty good, though I added some more oil to the recipe below because it was slightly dry. Also, I would fill the loaf pans only halfway, because this bread grows quite a bit as it's baking. Enjoy the fall recipes!

Pumpkin brownies: These are more pumpkin than chocolate, but they aren't super sweet and are a great alternative to the usual sugar-heavy Halloween desserts. I changed the recipe a little: I increased the cocoa to 1 T and the cinnamon to 3/4 tsp. I also used 2 T ground flaxseed in place of one of the egg whites. Last, I added 1/4 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp ground cloves. I left them in the oven for about 25 minutes because they looked too soft before then.

Pumpkin hummus: This is a mild hummus and the pumpkin flavor is subtle. Perfect with honey-wheat pita. I used canned pumpkin (1 cup) and garbanzo beans (1 can), and water instead of pumpkin juice. I also mixed in a little more olive oil right before serving.

Cranberry apple bread

1 cup apples, chopped
3/4 cup whole cranberries
3 T canola oil
4 oz unsweetened applesauce
2 T ground flaxseed 
2 eggs
1/3 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup sugar
1 T molasses
1/4 cup milk or soymilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Beat eggs and mix in agave, sugar, molasses, applesauce, milk, flaxseed and oil. Mix in spices, baking soda, baking powder and flour. Fold in apples, cranberries and walnuts, and pour into large loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

(Recipe by H. Farrell)

No comments:

Post a Comment