02 September 2010

Spinach and egg sandwiches

This started when I decided I wanted an omelette for dinner. Then I thought, what would happen if I replaced the little bit of milk in the egg batter with yogurt? The answer: if you use a whole container of yogurt, you won't get an omelette. But you will get a delicious filling for a savory breakfast or brunch sandwich. I ate this as an open-face sandwich with wheat toast, but I think it'd also be really good in a croissant. This recipe makes 4-5 sandwiches.

Spinach and egg sandwiches

4 eggs, beaten
1 container (6 oz) plain, low fat yogurt
1/2 T olive oil
salt
pepper
herbes de provence
generous handful of cherry tomatoes, diced
about 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed

Mix eggs, yogurt, oil and spices in a bowl. Add to a heated, greased skillet. Stir eggs occasionally to prevent sticking to bottom of pan. When the eggs are mostly cooked, drain out of the pan any extra water and put eggs back on stove. Squeeze out extra water from spinach and add, with the tomatoes, to the eggs. Continue to stir until mixture is heated through. Serve immediately or chill for cold sandwiches.

(Recipe: H. Farrell)

No comments:

Post a Comment