11 March 2010

Cinnamon sugar cookie-cakes

I wrote this recipe with the intention of making cookies. I pulled out a couple of my favorite cookie recipes for guidance and wrote a draft . . . and then I decided to add milk and apple sauce. I'm pretty sure these tipped the ratio in favor of liquid, making the batter something between that of cookies and cakes. I realized I would have a hard time shaping the dough for cookies, so I greased a cookie sheet and poured the batter in to make one big cookie-cake. The resulting dessert bars were delicious, despite being not-quite-cookie, not-quite-cake.

Cinnamon sugar cookie-cakes

2 eggs, beaten
3/4 brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter
1/2 cup (one small package) unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup milk or soymilk
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
Sanding sugar for sprinkling over top

In a bowl dissolve sugars in melted butter, let cool and add to eggs (if the butter is too warm it will start to cook the eggs when you mix them). Mix in apple sauce and milk. Mix together dry ingredients and fold into batter. Spread over bottom of shallow, well-greased baking dish or cookie sheet with edges. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and sprinkle with sanding sugar before cutting into small bars.

(Recipe by H. Farrell)

No comments:

Post a Comment