03 March 2010

A cake to match the celebration

While I love dessert, I don't particularly enjoy plain old cake. But birthdays require cake of some sort, not to mention it's quick and easy to make one from a box mix. Next time you need to make a cake in a hurry, but still want something a little more than the usual, try adding some different flavors to the cake or icing. 

For example, I used a regular vanilla cake mix, added coconut flakes to the batter and substituted apple sauce for some of the oil. I baked the cake in two different pans to make a two-tier cake, with cool whip and frozen raspberries (thawed and drained) in the center. I also used cool whip for the icing, but that the consistancy wasn't the best. Next time I'll use real whipped cream and add some powdered sugar and vanilla for the icing. 

Experiment with chocolate shavings, chocolate syrup, fresh fruit, jam/preserves, chopped nuts, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger) and extracts (almond, peppermint) to easily turn an ordinary cake into something ready for a celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment