19 February 2011

Apple pecan pancakes with apple butter

Spring is in sight, so I continue to go through the winter foods I've had stored. This morning I took from the freezer the last bag of apples I picked in the fall, and from the pantry, a jar of apple butter I bought over Thanksgiving weekend in New Jersey. If you ever find yourself near Burlington, N.J., on a weekend, make a trip to the Columbus Farmers Market. Much of it is a busy flea market, but one corner is an Amish market with a deli, butcher and bakery. Go hungry because they also sell breakfast sandwiches and creamy, slow-cooked oatmeal. The apple butter I got there was delicious -- made with just apples, apple cider and cinnamon -- and went well over these hearty apple pecan pancakes.

Apple pecan pancakes

1 egg
1 T canola oil
2 T agave nectar (or honey)
6 oz plain lowfat yogurt
1/3 cup milk (I used hazelnut milk, which I found at Whole Foods and is delicious)
1/2 T molasses
3 T ground flaxseed meal
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 T baking powder
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup barley four (or use 1 cup of wheat flour)
about 2 cups chopped apple
about 1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4-1/3 cup water, as needed

Whisk egg and add other ingredients until batter is well mixed. Make pancakes in skillet over medium-low heat and serve with apple butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment