26 May 2010

Turkey Sloppy Joes

I was considering what to make as a main dish for a potluck when out of nowhere I thought about sloppy joes. I hadn't made them in years, but I had a simple recipe from my mom that I liked. I decided to change the recipe and use ground turkey instead of ground beef. I also wanted to see if I could make a good sloppy joe without Worcestershire sauce or canned gumbo soup (which apparently many stores have stopped carrying). You can save some time by cooking the rice and corn ahead of time. I experimented with spices and additions -- taste the meat and add more flavor as you like. The recipe below got good reviews from the potluck attendees!

Turkey Sloppy Joes

2 lbs. ground lean turkey
olive oil
2 T molasses
2 T apple cider vinegar
3 T stone-ground mustard
16 oz (2 small cans) tomato sauce, no salt added
15 oz (1 large can) diced tomatoes, no salt added
1/4 cup dry brown rice, cooked
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 green onions, chopped
jalapeño, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 ears corn, boiled and cut off cob 
2 carrots, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
fresh parsley, chopped (about 1/2 cup)

Season with:
coriander
cloves (a pinch)
cumin
turmeric
cayenne (a pinch)
sea salt and pepper (generous)

In a large pan over medium heat, sauté yellow onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent. Add carrots, tomatoes and meat. While meat browns, add tomato sauce, molasses, vinegar and mustard. Season and add remaining ingredients. Let meat cook completely (about 15-20 minutes). Makes about a dozen sloppy joes.

(Recipe by H. Farrell)

No comments:

Post a Comment