11 October 2009

Coconut Herb Chicken

I often build recipes around one or two ingredients that I have left over or that I discovered while wandering through the grocery aisles. I planned this meal after buying a can of reduced fat coconut milk at Trader Joe's. I saw it on the shelf and bought it thinking one day I'd find a good way to use it -- and I did! This is a twist on a chicken-rice bake made with soup that was a favorite in college because it's very simple and requires little prep time. And who doesn't love an easy dinner?


Coconut Herb Chicken with Rice


Boneless, skinless chicken breast (three or four)
Sweet onion, sliced into thin strips
One can coconut milk (reduced fat)
Herbs (I used a mix of dry herbs; ex: rosemary, thyme, jasmine)
3/4 to 1 cup aromatic rice (such as Basmati or jasmine)
Apple cider vinegar


Pour some of the coconut milk into a glass baking dish and mix in herbs with a little apple cider vinegar and some black pepper. Add the dry rice and spread evenly. Place the chicken in the dish and arrange onions around the chicken, pour in the rest of the coconut milk and sprinkle more herbs over the chicken. Cover dish and bake at 375 degrees for about 45-50 mins.


Serve with steamed cauliflower, pouring any extra coconut/rice over the top as a sauce.


Recipe by H. Farrell

No comments:

Post a Comment