21 September 2009

Fruit and Wine Bread Pudding

This was definitely an experiment. I had never made any type of bread pudding before, but after reading a few different recipes, I wrote one that I hoped would turn out. Well, it could use a little work -- it tasted great, but it didn't look as good as I think it could. I used a red wine, which turned the entire dish a not-as-appetizing shade of purple, so I recommend using a lighter-colored wine. Also, it was a little soggy (I guess bread pudding is supposed to be soggy, but in the recipe below I cut the amount of wine in half, down from a whole cup). The recipe below also has increased amounts of spices -- I wanted mine to have a bit more of the cinnamon/nutmeg flavor that complements wine so well.


One more note on the ingredients -- I found the baby grapes at Trader Joe's, and they were the perfect size for a dessert. I also found the crème fraîche there. I was originally going to get ricotta cheese, but I saw this and thought I'd try it. From the information I found online, it's basically a French version of sour cream, though a little less sour. Because of the high fat (cream) content, it holds up better at high temperatures. I have leftovers, so I'm going to experiment with it again (I found that it also works as a substitute for mayo, mixed into tuna with a little spicy mustard).


Fruit and Wine Bread Pudding
(serves 8-10)



2 C apples, thinly sliced (about 2 small apples)
3/4 C small grapes (such as Thompson sweet golden baby grapes)
1/2 C wine (white or blush)
4 C wheat bread, cubed (6-7 slices)
3 eggs
2 T honey
1/4 C brown sugar
1 C milk
2/3 C yogurt, mixed with 1/3 C crème fraîche
dash salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp vanilla


1. Soak apples and grapes in wine, with extra cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
2. Beat eggs, add sugars, spices and vanilla. mix in milk and fold in yogurt/cheese mix.
3. Pour over bread and let the egg mixture absorb into the bread.
4. Fold in the apple/grape/wine mixture.


Halfway through baking, add topping mixture of flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter.
Bake at 350 for about 50 min, let cool for half an hour. Good served with vanilla ice cream.


Recipe by H. Farrell

No comments:

Post a Comment